Tuesday 1 November 2011

Blog Post 3 - Getting Around

For this exercise I will use the basic Scot Rail train ticket. 






Font Choice
The font used in the ticket design appears to be something like Helvetica or Arial. To the best of my knowledge this font has been in affect for quite a while and has not changed. I believe its used to display information clearly so it can be read by both passengers and ticket inspectors.
Hierarchy
There is very little use of hierarchy in the layout of the ticket. Some is seen when naming the ticket type, eg. '2-PART RETURN'. However, that to me isn't even the most important information. It all seems very similar in terms of weight and volume. All the information is thrown about and its makes it hard for the eye to move around the ticket.
Usability
In simple terms the ticket does what it has to do. Gives the passenger and ticket inspector all the information needed. However the ticket does everything it has to do badly...There is no organisation or hierarchy making it hard to identify key bits of information and it just looks dull and boring. Although its just meant to show some info, why cant it look a bit more interesting? Something better to look at when its 8.30 in the morning. 


Redesign 




Here I've used Arial as I think its as similar as I can get to the font on the ticket. I arranged the information with some use of hierarchy based on what I think is the most important info. I placed the 'valid until' info in the same importance as the 'ticket type' I think that this is an important piece of information that the ticket inspector has to see clearly, and in my experience they always take a few seconds to find it as its just lost in a mess of text. I also changed the orange border just to give it a more interesting look and putting the 'Scot Rail' name in italics to show the appearance of speed. 





1 comment:

  1. Why does your original ticket say Sheffield rather than the route you've redesigned? Are you assessing your everyday ticket as required or someone else's ticket between London and Sheffield? It looks like you did a Google image search rather than do what was asked of you. And look what I've found on the internet...you're very same ticket.

    This approach is indicative of your whole approach to the exercise...surface only. This is so much more than whether or not it looks good...

    ReplyDelete